Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2 years today

Two years ago today Donovan started on a new adventure – he re-joined the military at my urging.  I’ve been kicking myself since August 2009 for it.  Since he’s been gone we’ve seen him a grand total of 8 weeks.  Up till a week ago, I thought that we were going to be allowed to join him at his duty station overseas.  Nope.  We can’t go because of paperwork issues.

In those two years, Donovan’s missed EVERYTHING important to a husband and dad – birthdays, first steps, first words, and times that I desperately needed him, like Caelen’s diagnosis with autism.  We’ve been waiting over a year to be able to join him, to be a family again; we’ve been waiting on “one more piece of paper” for MONTHS.  One of those pieces of paper was re-enlistment.

Seems that his current job is “full” and the military isn’t re-enlisting anyone.  Instead of telling him this MONTHS AGO, he was given the run around AGAIN “Get the rest of the packet prepared and then we’ll get you re-enlisted”.  At least he’s now on an unaccompanied tour.  So, technically he’s only supposed to be there 2 years.  Oh, but wait!  No one’s allowed to leave the unit until they are “settled” AFTER the deployment.  Apparently that will take a while.  So we get to wait even more.  Unless school starts before the day that he’s allowed to leave his duty station - then he can come back to the states.  But not home.

Instead, he’s going to be stationed 8 hours away, in the same general area as his ex and their child.  No big deal, it’s only an 8 hour drive and his child deserves to see him.  That is if his ex allows it.  It’s the thought of him being so close yet so far that bugs me.  

Of course, it hasn’t happened yet, so I’ve really just got to stop dwelling on it.  I just want him home already.  I want to be able to complain about wet towels and dirty socks on the floor and cereal bowls on the computer desk again.  I’d like him to be able to do his half for his own kids.  I’d really like to not be able to take up all the pillows and most of the bed anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot be civil, any swears can and will be changed to random cheeses.