Thursday, May 31, 2012

Why don’t you get a job sewing?

You know, I’ve thought about this.  I really have.  But the issue at hand is that when I deal with sewing all day long, I won’t sew at home.  Kind of like the person that cleans all day long, you get home, the last thing that you want to do is do more cleaning at home.
There’s very few sewing jobs out there, too.  There’s one at the VA in their laundry.  But you’ve got to know industrial machines, button machines, and something called a heat patch machine.  Cirque wants wardrobe people.  But you need a year of experience and have to be familiar with a particular wardrobe system.  I think the one that I designed for the play would be laughed off as “cute” if they even granted me an interview.
The biggest issue is that I’m in desperate need of a job.  I’m usually 300 over budget at the end of the month.  It’s not like I do it on purpose, but when expenses like nearly $100 in medications for the kids, or the ex’s child support being late come up, there’s really no way around it.  Then you look at the whole "work to pay for daycare" and I seriously have to decide if it would even be worth it?
I’ve tried with a couple of the temp agencies.  I’ve got the skill set that most office jobs would love.  My lack of recent job experience is screwing me over.  Even though most employers aren’t going to admit to it, if you are unemployed, they don’t want to even give you an interview.  I’m to the point that I’m seriously considering fast food or even – shudder – tech support again, just so I can go in and say “I’m working right now, but I want something better!”
If I could just get an at home sitter, I could work for one of the craft stores or a book store or something.  Anything to just get to the point that the bank account isn’t negative when the allotment hits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot be civil, any swears can and will be changed to random cheeses.